To be very honest, I spent most of my adult life being broke and exhausted. Before my life as a Yoga Teacher I had various jobs, from hospitality, insurance, finance, managing property and much more. I always worked hard, yet continuously found myself without money and unable to save and create stability. When I faced yet another near burnout in my early twenties, I decided it was time to make a change. I quit my job, bought an old campervan, and with the little money I had I drove to Portugal to start a new life, close to nature and doing only what I loved. Somehow I would make it work, I figured.
However, in Portugal, even though life was magical, living close to deserted beaches and surrounded by goodhearted people, I faced the same problems I did before: I worked hard, yet my clients would always bargain me for my price, and I literally made just enough to pay my rent and buy food. I put a lot of time and effort into organizing Yoga retreats and creating online content, yet somehow people just wouldn’t pay what I asked for. Even an hour of private Yoga class at 25 USD was too expensive for them and I always ended up giving discounts and working for cheap or even free.
One day a friend of mine, who happened to be a life coach, sat across from me and said: “I think you don’t feel you deserve to make good money”. I started crying immediately. It was then and there that I realized my ability to generate a good income had nothing to do with my skills and hard work, but with my beliefs around money and abundance.
I started reflecting on my childhood, and what I was taught about money. And indeed, I was brought up with the belief that there was never enough, and that making money was difficult, that I didn’t deserve anything good to begin with unless I worked really hard for it and proved myself. Considering everything in life is a reflection of our conscious and subconscious vibrations, it became clear to me why I was continuously battling with money and financial stability. So I embarked on a journey of understanding my beliefs around these topics, in order to transform my reality. I stepped out of the victim role and took charge of what I was creating. I hope this article will help you kickstart your journey towards financial abundance. This article is only meant as an introduction to the topic, and I will surely be posting much more around this subject in the next few weeks.
Beliefs around Money
The first and foremost thing that I changed in order to see a shift in my life, were my beliefs around money. Maybe you can recognize yourself in one or more of the following statements:
1. There is not enough/There will never be enough
2. It’s hard to make money with the current economy
3. It’s hard to make money in my line of work
4. Money doesn’t come easily
5. Life is not easy
6. Rich people are bad people
7. Money is evil (especially very true for a lot of “spiritual” people)
8. I don’t deserve to be happy
9. It’s bad if I have/do nice things for myself, I should not be selfish
10. Money doesn’t grow on trees
11. I am grateful, I don’t mind being poor
12. I can’t charge high fees for my work, it’s not fair
And we can go on and on with listing beliefs which limit your ability to generate a good income with ease, doing what you love, or maybe doing nothing at all 🙂
The first thing you must do in order to change your financial reality, is look closely at the beliefs you have taken on or created around this topic. In the end, they are only beliefs and they are not necessarily a reflection of what is true. Knowing what these beliefs are will help you work on them and change them where necessary. A change in beliefs will ultimately create a change in your reality and current circumstances. If you are reading this article, clearly your beliefs are not working for you. So it’s time to take a closer look at them.
Books & Courses
In my journey to changing my beliefs around money, I came across some very useful books and content, which until today I still highly recommend. Check the sidebar for direct links to the books.
1. Overcoming Underearning – Barbara Stanny : One of the best books I ever read and demystifies all the Why’s and How’s of how to start claiming more for yourself!
2. The 4-hour workweek – Timothy Ferris : A great book to help you shift your mindset about what you can accomplish and what’s possible …
3. Abraham & Esther Hicks FREE online content : These teachers are amazing and have helped me tremendously. Just Google Abraham or Esther Hicks and “Abundance” and you’ll find many videos and audios on YouTube to choose from. Here is an example:
I will be writing up a lot more about this topic in the next few weeks. I hope that this blog and the posts I make on this topic will empower you to create financial abundance for yourself and live the life you truly deserve and desire!