Ever since I can remember, I’ve always been told I have good skin. However, after moving to Dubai, my skin suffered tremendously. I had a laser treatment at some dodgy clinic once, and after that my skin turned into a hyper-pigmented nightmare! My smooth, beautiful fresh look disappeared and I started looking old and spotty. Getting older also doesn’t help much, as hormonal changes do have an effect on how your skin looks and how sensitive you are to pigmentation of the skin. Needless to say the overexposure to the sun in the Middle East is something we should be aware of and take measures against, in order to keep our skin looking youthful and beautiful.
Over the past few years I have discovered some great methods to keep skin looking healthy, young and fresh. So here we go:
- I know it’s a very tacky one, but stay hydrated and drink a good quality water. I personally like Evian, Highland Spring or any water which is not overly processed and which comes from a natural spring. You need to drink at least 2 – 3 liters a day in a country like the UAE, where you sweat a lot and are exposed to the sun every day.
- Invest in a good SPF, 50+ for daytime wear. Try to buy one without parabens. One of my favorite brands is Easydew Non Sticky Fresh Mild Sunscreen, available at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. It’s very light in texture and the compact packaging allow you to take it with you wherever you go.
- Do Hydrafacials. This skin therapy works through genuinely restoring the skin with health as opposed to artificial and cosmetic sacrifices for manufactured beauty. Step by step, you’ll go from a deep cleanse/exfoliation, a rejuvenating peel towards younger skin, vibrantly tactile hydration, extraction of impurities and finally penetrative restoration through LED light therapy.
- Invest in a really good night cream. You’d be surprised as to how much difference it makes when you wear a really good cream at night. My favorite at this moment is Cliniques Repairwear. At first spending over on a cream might seem a bit much, but honestly it’s worth it, as you’ll stay looking younger and better for longer.
- Don’t sunbathe for hours. However, a bit of sun exposure definitely helps skin looking healthy and fresh. There’s nothing like that sunkissed glow. I do advise soaking your face in SPF 50+ before and during your beach time. Re-apply every hour or so, to make sure your skin stays protected.
- COCONUT OIL! I’d say use it everywhere, including on your face, and as often as possible. It is not necessary to buy expensive body lotions, which claim to do this and that. Coconut oil will do whatever you want! It’s antisceptic, healing and anti-fungal. It’s great to keep your kin hydrated, removes dry patches, and also gives you a glorious tan when used under the sun. On top of it all, it’s cheap and can be used for cooking too 😉 Honestly any brand will do, although I do really like the one from Organic Foods & Cafe.
- PRP, or the Vampire lift, is super effective for healthy looking skin. It might sound a bit scary at first, but it’s probably one of the best things you can do for your face long term. My skin and structure of my face has never looked this good. PRP is a procedure that involves withdrawing a patient’s own blood, processing it to create “platelet-rich plasma (PRP),” then re-injecting it to erase wrinkles and create a more youthful look, and it works! You can do this at numerous clinics in Dubai. For best results do it regularly, like every month. It’s not cheap (expect to pay around 1500 – 2000 AED per treatment), but it’s worth it!
Lastly, don’t cry too much, smile gently to avoid too many deep wrinkles and of course be happy. Spend time in nature and make sure to always remove your make-up with a good quality cleanser! If you have any questions about my skin regime, please email firstname.lastname@example.org