Before I moved to Dubai I lived in the Algarve: The most beautiful natural part of Southern Portugal. I studied Yoga and Chinese Medicine, ate organic foods straight from the land, and walked barefoot on deserted beaches every day. God, what a life … I sometimes miss those days!
But obviously that life is not much sustainable when it comes to building a financial future. So I decided to move to a part of the world, which was economically more interesting. I however often think back about those years spent living in complete harmony with nature. It was so good for my mind, body and Soul.
These days I still aim incorporate some natural living habits into my very urban existence. I believe our bodies need nature, proper nutrition and some sort of connection to the earth in order to thrive. In this article I wanted to talk a little bit about how one can live naturally and stay healthy while also running a business and enjoying the frills of city life. Here are my tips for doing so:
- Stay away from PROCESSED FOODS as much as possible and just stick to fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, seeds and other wholesome and nutritiously dense nourishment. Even in a city like Dubai it is easy to find healthy foods, also when eating out
- Get out of the city every few months, take HOLIDAYS, spend time in nature regularly
- Choose an area to live which is quiet, light and spacious. No-one benefits from living in an apartment with lack of natural light and a million mobile phone signals all around. Try to have a GARDEN
- REST adequately and try not to get caught up in going to clubs and bars regularly. Rest up on your weekends, go to the beach and maintain a normal sleeping rhythm
- EXERCISE regularly, preferably outdoors. Take walks or do Yoga on the beach or in the park
- LIMIT alcohol consumption, it’s really not that difficult! Just stay away from hard liquor and limit yourself to a glass of red wine a week if you really can’t quit it all together
- Do regular DETOXES, meaning fasting on green juices for 3 to 7 days. I do this around 2 to 3 times a year and it is one of the best things you can do for your health and weight
- Use natural NON-CHEMICAL cleaning products, shampoo and make up. I really prefer cruelty free, non-chemical wherever possible. I am not saying I am a saint, but at least I try
- Eat mostly VEGAN. These days I only eat the occasional egg and a little cheese here and there, but my diet is 90% vegan and I feel it is the best choice for health, as well as being good to the animals
- MEDITATE and BREATHE deeply, while cultivating a POSITIVE ATTITUDE and happy outlook on life. There is truly nothing healthier than that!
I hope this article will help you to embrace a balanced and healthy lifestyle, which nourishes not only your physical body, but also your heart and Soul!
Bikini from Forever 21
Inspiring! Everyone of us needs a reminder every now and then of things that might appear obvious but we tend to forget and find it hard to apply to our lives, specially in such a busy bustling city life like in Dubai. Thanks for the reminder Kaya.